Pages

Friday 22 January 2016

Food goals



Yup, it's that time again. I'm on school holidays. So, I've got plenty of free time. These are my food goals ie food that I want to make while I have ample time to do so.

Chinese baked goods can be tedious. Well, at least all the ones that I love tend to be really labour intensive. For example, Ang Ku Kueh. You have to make the skin, the filling, then assemble and steam.  It's a whole day affair, trust me.

                                          1. Pineapple buns


Have you ever had pineapple buns? Their name is a little misleading as they contain no pineapple. They are named so because they kinda look like a pineapple. 

This is a sweat bread topped with a buttery goodness layer on top then baked until it gets all lovely. It's amazing. I love it. 

Bread takes such a long time to make though and I'm a a really impatient person but now I have the time to work on ....waiting...

Recipes that I plan to follow:

Another bun....can you tell I love bread? These aren't your western custard but a salted egg yolk custard. A hallmark of a good custard bun is when you tear into it, the yummy ooey gooey custard should just ooze right out. 

I've been trying so hard to find the best custard buns in Melbourne but they've all been disappointing. Nothing compares to the custard buns I had at this restaurant celebrating my grandma's 80th birthday. It was an 8+ course meal (I lost count after 8) and they ended it with these custard buns. It was a bun...I was tempted but I was so full, I couldn't even move...but thank the lord I had one....amazing...I then proceeded to have two more. #yolo

The recipes I plan on following: lirongs, chinasichuanfood, jessicagavin, theinformalchef.

3. Tiramisu 

 Who does not love tiramisu? It's creamy cake goodness. 

I always use this recipe. Trust me, this is a solid recipe. I'm always showering in comments after I make this. However, I do substitute the rum for Kahlua because that's what I have in my house. 

I braced the crazy Costco crowd to get Mascarpone because they are so much cheaper there than at Coles or Woolies. Hey, all for saving a little $$$. 






4. The Imploding Honey Custard Cake


This recipe is from ladyandpups. Doesn't the photograph of this cake look amazing??? Honestly, the photography on that blog is spectacular. Every image just increases my desire to make said food. 

As of now, I have not tried any of their recipes but they are all sitting in my bookmark folder waiting for me to get off my lazy ass. 












What do you like to do during the holidays? Do you bake, sew, knit? Or maybe you travel? Tell me in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment