Pages

Monday 5 January 2015

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han (Review)


Last Saturday was such a hot day, it was a top of 42C! One thing about me is that I hate hot days. I much prefer cold days; I like layering up, I like wearing jumpers, I like wearing scarfs and coats, I like having numb fingers, I like wrapping myself in my blanket and reading a nice book. Needless to say, I become a lot grumpier when it's hot out.

I am currently reading the 4th Harry Potter book. I was feeling overheated and grouchy and didn't want to associate those feelings with the wonderfulness that is Harry Potter. In my mind I was thinking 'So, what should I read then?'. I needed something cute and light to read. If we live in a cartoon world, there would be a light bulb over my head when I remembered that I had checked out To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han (goodreads) from the library.


To All The Boys I've loved before was the exact right book I needed to make me less grumpy!!! I honestly love the book so much. Right after I finished it, I decided what the heck let's just re-read it again and that is exactly what I did. Initially, after I read it I gave it a rating of 3 stars but then after a few hours and the book was still in my head, I decided to change it to a 4 stars! I stand by the 4 stars.


Why should you read this books? Well, if you're looking for a:

  1. Cute and easy read that can be done in one sitting; and/or
  2. Romance novel because this book is a romance novel from start to finish dashed with a little bit of family drama; and/or
  3. Book that has Asian characters where their Asian culture are not erased nor are they the sole basis of their entire character; and/or
  4. Book that will just make you smile! Honestly, this book made me chuckle!
The basic plot is that Lara Jean (yes they will always always call her by her first name and middle name) writes love letters to, as you can guess from the title, all the boys she has loved before. The letters are a way she exorcises her love for them. One day, it turns out that someone has mailed those letters. Cue dramatic music.
If you are thinking of checking he book out, actually even if you are thinking this book ain't my thing, please please pleaseee read the prologue of this book which can be found on amazon before your write it off completely. The prologue is just beautiful but don't expect that same quality of writing throughout the entire book. The prologue has the best writing in the whole book in my opinion, the rest of the book is just a notch below it.

What I didn't like about the book:

  • There were a few underdeveloped plot lines but there's going to be a second book so this might be remedied
  • Many characters are well written but there are some who are just cookie cutter characters
  • Lara Jean is sixteen. However, there were times in the book where she sounded a little too immature for her age.
  • The plot was kinda cliché as well
  • I really didn't like the whole dating your sister's ex thing.
    I just cringed every time I read a romantic scene between Josh and Lara Jean
  • The main love interest was slightly possessive. What's with YA books and possessive lead romantic interest? Am I supposed to be in love with guys who would rather dominate me than let me be me? However, in this book the possessiveness was really only in one or two scenes.
    When Peter gets mad at Lara Jean because her Halloween costume accidentally matched Josh's. And getting angry at Lara Jean for how she reacted to the whole sex in a hot tub debacle. Totally uncool
What I did like about the book:
  • As I've said this book is funny! It made me laugh out loud a few times. There was this line in particular that made me laugh so hard, "Thank God and Jesus for Christmas break". In context, it's a lot funnier.
  • Other than the little bit of possessiveness mentioned above, the relationship between the two lead romantic interests was quite healthy
  • I enjoyed the main romantic couple a lot. They might make it to the list of my favourite literary couple! If they do, they will be joining the likes of Ron/Hermione, Elizabeth/Darcy, Anne/Wenthworth, Patroclus/Achilles (the song of Achilles one because the Homer one has pederasty insinuation) and Pippin/Merry.
  • I'm a sucker for the "I didn't love you at the start but now I think I do' trope.
  • I really enjoyed the dynamic of the relationship between the three sisters! I think Han capture that aspect accurately. My younger sister and I have more of a Lara Jean/Kitty relationship. Margot is the kind of sister I wish I could be though.
  • I'm going to reiterate: the writing. The book has good writing throughout. The kind of writing that makes me feel stuff in my stone-cold heart.
If you are still on the fence about this book, check out this video that's sort of a fan adaptation/book trailer of this book by the amazing Yulin Kuang.



I also have a little letter of my own to write:


Dear Americans,


Can you please clarify the American Education system to me. What the heckie is middle school? And what is Junior High? And why do you do internship when you're still in high school? What is elementary school? Is it like primary school? What's the difference between junior and freshman, which one comes first?


Another thing that I'm curious about is the clique culture in American High School. Is the whole clique thing as prominent in real life or has that just been exaggerated for the movies? And are guys in the (American) football team really treated like celebrities in school? Do the cheerleaders wear their cheerleading uniform in classes or just when they are cheering?


And, um, when is Thanksgiving? Also, what's up with Turkey and Thanksgiving?


Yours gratefully,

A very confused Australian.

No comments:

Post a Comment