Pages

Tuesday 13 January 2015

Top Ten 2014 Releases I Meant To Read But Didn't Get To


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over on The Broke and the Bookish.


one

title: Hollow City (#2 Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children)
author: Ransom Riggs
date of publication: 14 January 2014

According to the description on goodreads, the sequel picks up right where the first book left off. To be honest, I didn't love the first book as much as everyone did. I still liked it but I wasn't crazy over it. I planned to read the sequel but 2014 was pretty busy and it just slipped my mind!

Hopefully I am able to read it this year! I've already requested it at the library.
*goodreads




two

title: The Body Electric
author: Beth Revis
date of publication: 6 October 2014

I was so sooo excited for the publication of this book but I have this habit where I always check the book out from the library before I buy my own physical copy. But the library didn't have this book when it got published!! I was so bummed out! Maybe the library gods heard my prayers because my local library are planning to add this book to their collection!!

Plus, the description on goodreads sounds hella cool:
Ella Shepherd has dedicated her life to using her unique gift—the ability to enter people’s dreams and memories using technology developed by her mother—to help others relive their happy memories.
*goodreads

three

title: The Glass Sentence
author: SE Grove
date of publication: 12 June 2014

I think I first heard of this book from a review from a blog which I can't seem to recall right now.

The main reason I haven't read this yet is because my local library didn't have this book. :( 
*goodreads




four

title: Yes Please
author: Amy Poehler
date of publication: 28 October 2014

I planned on reading this book along with Tina Fey's 'Bossypants' and Mindy Kaling's 'Is everybody hanging out without me?'. I started with Mindy Kaling's book because I love Kelly Kapoor from The Office and I also love The Mindy Project. If you haven't watched either show, just know I'm seriously judging your right now. Honestly, The Office and The Mindy Project are so funny!!!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I really enjoyed 'Is everyone hanging out without me?'. It is so funny, it made me (embarrassingly) laugh out many times on the 7am train. People who take the 7am train are either like me, uni students who have 8am lectures or the working class with their briefcases and fancy blazers. Long story short, the latter (and also the former I guess because it's 7am!!!) want the train to be silent because it's still so early in the day. I tried to laugh silently but my laughter just burst out. Really, the book is that funny.

Next, I went into Bossypants with high expectations. However, the first part of the book really put me off. Specifically, this passage in the book. I found it a little offensive...please don't tell me I'm being oversensitive. I felt like the value of my entire race was just reduced to being hairless. I dropped the book like a hot potato after reading that.

So yeah, I was put off from reading 'Yes Please'. But I think I'm definitely reading it this year! I started watching Parks and Recreation and it's similar to The Office. Conclusion? I love Parks and Recreation. I'm truly sad that it's ending this year. I'm only up to Season 5 now! No spoilers please!
*goodreads

five

title: Dorothy Must Die
author: Danielle Paige
date of publication: 1 April 2014

Dorothy went power crazy and she must be stopped. The story is so intriguing.

I can't believe I forgot to check this book out!
*goodreads




six

title: Falling into Place
author: Amy Zhang
date of publication: 9 September 2014

1) this book has physics stuff all over the cover. I'm a science student. I'm always interested when a book incorporates any area of science that I've studied.
2) Physics. Physics is .... not my favourite...but I've always thought that the ideas that I've learned in Physics are so romantic. My friends all call me crazy for thinking that! But Zhang sounds like she has the same view as me!
3) I feel like I say this a lot but I make it a point to support Asian writers!
*goodreads




seven

title: My True Love Gave To Me
author: various
date of publication: 14 October 2014

I felt like this book was so hyped during the holiday season. I hardly ever read holiday themed books so I made a mental note to check this one out.

I have a horrible memory.

The end. 
*goodreads




eight

title: Seconds
author: Bryan Lee O'Malley
date of publication: 15 July 2014

I've read and love the Scott Pilgrim comics? graphic novels? What's the difference?

Again, my library did not have this book but I just checked my local library's website and they are in the process of acquiring this book!! I'm so excited!! I've already requested it. 
*goodreads



nine

title: The World of Ice and Fire 
author: GRR Martin
date of publication: 28 October 2014

I saw this book in the shop when it was released but I didn't get it because of the hefty price tag. Like everything else in Australia, books here are much more expensive than in countries like the USA. :/

I planned on getting this book online but just forgot. It's in my shopping cart now but I'm still contemplating because the price is up there. 
*goodreads



ten

title: To All The Boys I've Loved Before 
author: Jenny Han 
date of publication: 15 April 2014

I checked out this book from the library early in December last year but didn't manage to read it till January of 2015!! I can't believe I waited so long to read it. I love the book so much. It's not a perfect book but it was such an enjoyable read.

I just found out that there's going to be a movie adaptation. I have so many fancasts in my head. 









No comments:

Post a Comment